Sunday, July 19, 2009

Concerts To See Around Madison This Week (7/20 - 7/26)

Was just perusing some of the concert listings this week and thought I'd try and pick something out for each night if possible. I wont make all of these myself, but in a perfect world I would.

Monday, 7/20 - go to the High Noon Saloon for Those Poor Bastards + a couple of other bands. I'm not really familiar with any of the acts (the others are the Black Diamond Heavies and the High Plane Drifters), but any band with "Bastards" in the name usually gets me interested, and they're website lists them as "gothic country". I like!

Tuesday, 7/21 - no-brainer: the Old 97's are playing the Barrymore Theater, and their lead singer, Rhett Miller, is doing a solo set as well. Will. Be. Awesome.

Wednesday, 7/22 - my favorite regular Wednesday night slot in town: The Brown Derby play their golden country hits at the Crystal Corner Bar at 9:30. EVERY Wednesday.

Thursday, 7/23 - Backyard Tire Fire is playing at the Memorial Union Terrace! These guys are seriously a bunch of ass-kicking shit-stompers! I saw them randomly once at the Cafe Montmartre a few years ago, and again at the Wakarusa Festival in Lawrence, KS, and these boys throw down. Don't miss it. Unless, of course, you decide to head out to Waunakee and watch two WHS alumni (Garett Endres and myself) play a Waunafest pre-party show at Mojo's. But seriously, BTF!

Friday, 7/24 - Unfortunately I will be out of town for the weekend, but you should go to the Frequency on Friday night to see my friend Cait Shanahan's new band, Cait And The Girls. Cait is a friend of mine from way back to the Oshkosh songwriting days, and we used to play lots of gigs together. She is a talented performer, go see her. Also playing: Fermata, The Vega Star, and Jenny Is A Boy.

Saturday, 7/25 - Definitely check out Folk On State, which takes place on State Street next to Urban Outfitters, 1-3pm every Saturday this summer. I had the pleasure of playing it yesterday, and my good buddy (and fantastic songwriter) Jeremiah Nelson is playing it along with Scott and Michelle Dalziel.

Sunday, 7/26 - I've got nothing.

Gee, do you think I have sort of a bias towards folk/americana/country/roots music? I'll try and branch out more next time...

No comments: